Just in time for your next snack attack: Vegetable Nacho Cheese Dip ! It is vegan, keto, oil-free and only 33 calories per 2 tablespoons.
- 1 and 1/4 cups (85 g) coarsely chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup (50 g) coarsely chopped, peeled carrots
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) vegetable oil of choice (e.g., olive, coconut, avocado)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (5 to 7 g) minced jalapeno pepper (seeds & ribs removed)
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned diced tomatoes (drained of excess juice)
- 3 tablespoons (15 g) nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (more or less to taste)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- In a steamer basket, steam the cauliflower and carrots until tender (see notes for shortcut). Pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet set over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion; cook and stir for 6 to 7 minutes until softened. Reduce the heat to medium and add the jalapeno, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and turmeric. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes longer until very fragrant.
- Transfer the cauliflower, carrots, onion mixture, tomatoes, nutritional yeast, and salt to a blender. Puree, stopping to scrapes side of blender, until completley smooth. If a thicker texture is desired, blend in the coconut flour. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve warm (rewarm on low in microwave), room temperature, or cold as a dip or spread.
Storage: Store the cooled dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Shortcut Vegetable Tip: Skip the chopping and steaming and use frozen carrots and cauliflower in place of the fresh. Defrost and drain of excess moisture before measuring.
Jalapeno Tip: In place of the fresh jalapeno, consider using 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (add with the spices; use more or less according to desired heat level). Alternatively, season the finished dip, to taste, with hot sauce (e.g., sriracha, tabasco).
- Category: Dip or Spread
- Method: Blender
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons (30 mL)
- Calories: 33
- Sugar: 1.3 g
- Sodium: 101.5 mg
- Fat: 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.2 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg