Healthy, delicious, easy-to-make Cheddar cheese, made with cashews! It is vegan, paleo, oil-free, and naturally gluten-free, too.
- 1 cup (4 oz/112 g) raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon powdered agar-agar or 3 tablespoons agar-agar flakes
- 1 cup (250 mL) nondairy milk (I used cashew milk)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons sweet or smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Place the cashews in a mason jar or glass bowl. Add 2 cups (500 mL) boiling water. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes until very plump. Drain and rinse the cashews.
- Meanwhile, combine the agar agar and milk in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over low to medium heat until the agar is completely dissolved. Continue stirring over low heat for 5 minutes longer.
- Place the drained cashews, nutritional yeast, and agar-milk mixture in a blender. Blend until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down sides several times. Add the lemon juice, tomato paste, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard, turmeric and salt. Blend until completely smooth.
- Taste the cheese; adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Pour the cheese mixture into a small loaf pan (or any mold of choice) that has been lined with plastic wrap. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours until firm. Slice, grate, cube (or melt!) the cheese, as desired, for eating and cooking.
Overnight Soaking: If you prefer, soak the cashews in 2 cups cold water, at room temperature for 8 hours instead of using the quick soak method. Drain and rinse before using. I do not recommend soaking the cashews for longer than 8 hours (they can turn slimy).
- Category: Cheese
- Method: Blender
- Serving Size: 1 oz/28 g
- Calories: 51
- Sugar: 0.6 g
- Sodium: 93.9 mg
- Fat: 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.7 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: plant-based cheese, vegan cheese, paleo cheese, cashew cheese, dairy-free, blender, easy, Cheddar