Quick and simple vegan cream cheese made with 3 ingredients: raw cashews, coconut oil and lemon juice. Use it as a spread or in no-bake recipes that call for traditional cream cheese!
- Place the cashews in a large glass bowl. Add 4 cups (1 L) boiling water. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes until very plump. Drain and rinse the cashews.
- In a high-speed blender process the cashews, coconut oil, lemon juice, salt and (optional) nutritional yeast.
- Stop and scrape the sides and bottom of container multiple times until the mixture is very smooth and creamy-looking (be patient, this will take a good amount of stopping, starting, and scraping—at least 3 to 5 minutes).
- Pack the cheese into an airtight storage container. If planning to mold the cheese, pack it in 2 rectangular dishes that have been lined with plastic wrap; firmly enclose with the wrap. Refrigerate at least 4 hours until cold and firm.
- Use the cream cheese as a spread or in no-bake recipes of all kinds that call for cream cheese.
Storage: Store the cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Freezing is not recommended.
Lemon Juice Sub: 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar + 1 tablespoon of water can be used in place of the lemon juice.
Overnight Soaking: If you prefer, soak the cashews in 2 cups cold water, at room temperature for 8 hours instead of using the quick soak method. Drain and rinse before using. I do not recommend soaking the cashews for longer than 8 hours (they can turn slimy).
- Category: Cheese
- Method: Blending
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 68
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 43.6 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.8 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan cheese, plant-based, cream cheese, cheese, dairy-free, vegan, paleo, soy-free