Grain-free & vegan almond flour soda bread! With only 5 ingredients (besides water and salt), it is quick and easy to make, and also oil-free, yeast-free, sugar-free and paleo.
- Preheat oven to 350F(175C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the almond flour, arrowroot starch, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix the water, flaxseed meal, and vinegar. Let stand several minutes to thicken.
- Add the water mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until completely bended. The dough will be quite stiff as your stir; just keep stirring until completley blended. The resulting dough will be stiff yet soft.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place on the prepared sheet. Flatten the dough into a circle measuring about 5 inches (12.5 cm) across. Using a sharp, serrated knife, carefully cut two very deep slashes (almost all the way through) through the dough (making a cross).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Place a piece of foil over the top (to prevent excess browning) and bake 5 minutes longer. Turn oven off, leaving bread in oven for 15 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in an airtight container at (cool) room temperature for 3 days, the refrigerator for 2 weeks, or the freezer for up to 6 months (I recommend slicing the bread before freezing).
Tip: An equal amount of potato starch can be used in place of arrowroot starch.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1/16 of loaf
- Calories: 107
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 154 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.7 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: grain-free, vegan, bread, almond flour, Paleo, sugar-free, oil-free, yeast-free, easy, arrowroot