Moist, delicious and healthy gingerbread, made from whole oats! It is naturally vegan, oil-free, gluten-free and flourless. Ready in 30 minutes, it is perfect for breakfast, snacks and dessert.
- 2 cups rolled oats (certified gluten-free, as needed).
- 1 and 1/3 cups unsweetened apple juice (see notes for options)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup (64 g) raw cashews (see notes for options)
- 1/2 cup molasses (not blackstrap; see notes for options)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (see notes for options)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Spray or grease a 9-inch (22.5 cm) baking pan; line with parchment paper, allowing an overhang on both sides.
- In a blender, process the oats, apple juice, pumpkin, cashews, molasses, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, and salt until blended and completely smooth, stopping several times to scrape sides of blender.
- Add the baking soda to blender; process 10 seconds to combine.
- Spread batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack and cool 10 minutes. Remove gingerbread from pan and let cool completely before cutting into squares.
Storage: Store the cooled cake in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 3 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Cashew Options: You can use other nuts (e.g., pecans, walnut, almonds) or pepitas (green pumpkin seeds) in place of the raw cashews.
Apple Juice Options: An equal amount of water or nondairy milk can be used in place of the apple juice. The juice provides some sweetness, so this substation will lead to a less sweet cake. If desired, add an extra tablespoon or so of sweetener.
Pumpkin Options: An equal amount of unsweetened applesauce can be used in place of the pumpkin. The cake will be lighter in texture. Mashed, very ripe banana can also be used (note that the cake will have a mild banana flavor). I suggest using water or nondairy milk in place of the apple juice if using the banana option.
Molasses Tip & Options: I love blackstrap molasses, but do not recommend it for this cake (too bitter). An equal amount of maple syrup or honey (if not vegan) can be used in place of the molasses (note that the cake will be lighter in flavor and color with these options; the pumpkin flavor will be more apparent). An equal amount of coconut sugar or dark brown sugar can also be used in place of the molasses.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Options: Make your own pumpkin pie spice blend by combining 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (feel free to vary this according to what you have/prefer).
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 piece (1/16th)
- Calories: 103
- Sugar: 10.2 g
- Sodium: 121.9 mg
- Fat: 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0. 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.1 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan, flourless, oil-free, gingerbread, oats, pumpkin, easy, blender, healthy, clean eating