4-ingredient banana bread that is vegan, paleo, oil-free, grain-free, gluten-free, and added sugar free! Made with almond flour and unsweetened coconut, it is as decadent as it is healthy!
- 6.3 ounces (180 grams) unsweetened flaked or shredded coconut (about 3 and 1/2 loosely packed cups)
- 1 and 3/4 cups (196 g) almond flour or almond meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Optional: 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) mashed ripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly spray a 9×5-inch (22.5 x 12.5 cm) loaf pan; line with parchment paper leaving an overhang on opposite sides.
- In a food processor, pulse the coconut until ground into a coarse meal. Transfer to a large bowl and add the almond flour, baking powder and (optional) cinnamon and/or salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the mashed bananas to the bowl; stir until well blended. Spoon and spread the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top into an even layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes until slightly risen (the bread has a minimal to moderate rise) and a deep golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely in the pan.
- Once completely cooled, use the parchment liner to lift the bread from the pan. Slice into 12 generous slices (see notes for slicing tips).
Slicing Tips: It is MUCH easier to slice the bread if it is chilled (less crumbling and/or breaking). For thinner slices, freeze the bread for about 1.5 to 2 hours (not completely frozen) and cut with a serrated knife.
Flavor Tips: Other ground spices, besides cinnamon, can be added, such as cardamom, ginger, allspice, or pumpkin pie spice. A teaspoon of vanilla extract can also be added.
Note: Coconut flour cannot be used as a substitute for the ground coconut flakes. Coconut flour is a byproduct of coconut milk production; it is almost fat free, powdery in texture, and very absorbent. It will not work in this recipe.
Banana Tip: It can take anywhere between 4 to 6 medium-large bananas to equal the 2 cups of mashed banana. It is important to measure out 2 cups rather than go by number of bananas (given the discrepancy in size of bananas).
Muffins: This batter makes great muffins, too! Divide the batter between 12 standard muffin cups that have been lined with paper or foil liners. Bake in the 350F oven for 22 to 26 minutes until deep golden brown and set at the centers. Cool completely before eating.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/12 of loaf)
- Calories: 227
- Sugar: 6.2 g
- Sodium: 86.8 mg
- Fat: 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.3 g
- Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
Keywords: grain-free bread, vegan bread, gluten-free bread, grain-free vegan bread, paleo bread, 4 ingredients,oil-free, no added sugar, easy