Soft and cakey cassava flour applesauce cookies! A cinch to make, they are vegan, Paleo, oil-free, grain-free, gluten-free, and only 36 calories each!
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons (32 g) creamy nut butter (e.g., cashew, almond or peanut)
- 2 tablespoons (18 g) coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 43 g cassava flour (about 1/3 cup, not filled to top of cup; see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- optional: 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the applesauce, nut butter and coconut sugar until blended and smooth. Add the cassava flour, baking powder, and (optional) salt, stirring until blended into a fluffy cookie dough.
- Using a small cookie scoop or rounded tablespoons, scoop the dough onto the prepared sheet in 13 equal portions (space about 2 inches apart).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 11 to 12 minutes until golden brown and set at the centers. Cool on sheet for 5 minutes before transferring cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Storage: Store the cookies in an airtight container at (cool) room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
How to measure cassava flour: Cassava flour can be difficult to measure (and standards for 1/4 cup vary from 30 to 35 g, depending on the brand). Additionally, 30 to 35 grams does not fill a 1/4 cup measure. Here are the measurements I use: (1) 1/4 cup of cassava flour is 32 grams (128 g per cup); (2) If using a cup measure, do not fill (anywhere close) to the top of the cup! (3) For greatest accuracy, use a small digital kitchen scale to measure.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 36
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 26.6 mg
- Fat: 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.2 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 0.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: cassava flour cookies, 5 ingredients, vegan, egg-free, dairy-free, oil-free, paleo, grain-free, gluten-free, low calorie, cookies