Salty, sweet, and tangy, my creamy roasted carrot dip is delicious on everything. It is also naturally vegan, paleo, and free of oil, grains, gluten, beans, nuts and seeds. Only 28 calories per 1/4 cup, too. YUM!
- 12 ounces (about 340 g) carrots, peeled and ends trimmed off
- nonstick cooking spray
- fine sea salt & ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) nondairy milk of choice
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425F (215C). Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut the carrots into 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) pieces; spread in a single layer and season with salt & pepper. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes until very tender and slightly browned at edges. Cool slightly.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, process the carrots, milk, smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin, and lemon juice until blended and smooth. Stop and scrape the container multiple times.
- Transfer the dip/spread to a bowl or storage container. Season to taste with additional salt & pepper as desired. Serve with the vegetables, breads and/or crackers of your choice!
Storage: Store the dip/spread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Variation: Thai Carrot Dip–Use full-fat canned coconut milk for the nondairy milk and lime juice in place of the lemon juices. Omit the paprika, cumin and garlic powder and add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Thai red curry paste.
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 28
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 145.6 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 0.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: carrots, dip, spread, nut-free, bean-free, oil-free, seed-free, tahini-free, hummus, paleo, vegan, low-calorie, gluten-free