Fast, easy, vegetable-packed stir-fry made with steel cut oats! Soak the oats ahead of time, and this vegan, gluten-free stir-fry comes together in minutes.
- 1 cup (176 g) dry steel cut oats
- 3 teaspoons (15 mL) toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) minced fresh ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (whites and greens separated)
- 3 cups (750 mL) assorted chopped vegetables (I used carrots, mushrooms, sugar snap peas and bell pepper)
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) soy sauce (see notes for soy-free alternatives)
- Optional: sriracha or other hot sauce
- Place the oats in a medium bowl. Fill bowl with water, enough to cover oats by 1 inch (2.5 cm). Soak for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain the oats through a mesh sieve.
- Heat 2 teaspoons (10 mL) of the sesame oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add any of the vegetables that are very hard ( I added the carrots); cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, and the white parts of the green onions; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Add the remaining teaspoon (5 mL) oil to pan along with the remaining vegetables; cook and stir for 1 minute to coat.
- Add the drained oats, 2/3 cup water, and soy sauce to the skillet. Cook and stir, scraping up bits from the bottom of the pan, for 5 to 7 minutes until the water is absorbed, the vegetables are crisp-tender, and the oats are plump. (The oats should have a consistency similar to cooked brown rice.)
- Stir in the green parts of the green onions and serve (with optional hot sauce).
Storage: Store the cooled stir-fry in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Soy-Free Soy Sauce Options: An equal amount of coconut aminos (e.g., Coconut Secret or Thrive Market brand) or seaweed based no-soy sauce (e.g., Ocean’s Halo) can be used in place of the soy sauce.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Serving Size: about 1.5 cups
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 386.4 mg
- Fat: 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.8 g
- Fiber: 9.2 g
- Protein: 11.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: steel cut oats, oats, Asian, stir-fry, vegan, rice alternative, vegetables, healthy dinner, savory oats, high protein vegan entree, high protein