Salty, sweet, tangy & delectable vegan roasted carrot dip. Only 28 calories per 1/4 cup and naturally vegan, paleo, and oil-free!
I could eat this sunny, spicy carrot dip/spread all day, every day for the month of January. And beyond. It is just what I’ve been craving after a month (make that a month and a half?) of chocolate and other richness.
This creamy concoction is super-delicious and addictive for snacking and meals (it is great on sandwiches, and on bagels at breakfast), but it is still special enough to serve to friends if you have a last-of-the-holidays get-together. Note: they’ll want the recipe.
In post-holiday fashion, the dip is also EASY. And FRUGAL. (Hallelujah!). And if you don’t have the spices I call for, or prefer to add different flavors, use the herbs and spices you have (and like).
Here’s how to make this deliciousness:
Begin by peeling and trimming 12 ounces of carrots (you can eyeball 3/4 of a 16-ounce bag) and then cutting into (roughly) 1/2-inch pieces. Alternatively, skip the peeling, trimming and cutting by using 3/4 of a 16-ounce bag of baby carrots.
Spread the carrots in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet (optional: line with foil or parchment paper for extra-easy clean-up) that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
Roast in a preheated 425F oven for 30 to 35 minutes until very tender and a bit browned at the edges. Cool the carrots slightly for easier handling.
Place the carrots and all of the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth. You will need to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl/container several times before getting a velvety-smooth consistency.
The blending takes little time at all in a high-speed blender; a regular blender, or a food processor, takes a smidgeon more patience (more stopping and scraping down the sides), but with (ultimately) the same results. Just persevere and keep at it, blending, stopping and scraping until creamy. Add more milk, or even water, as needed, along the way.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl or a container and season to taste with additional salt and pepper, as you like. Adjust the lemon juice and spices to your liking, too.
That’s it, you’re done! The spread is creamy, salty, tangy and subtly sweet. The spices can be dialed down to suit the palates of little ones, or emboldened with some hot chile sauce or sriracha. YUM.
Happy eating and here’s to a happy new year of even more healthy, easy, plant-powered recipes!Print
Salty, sweet, tangy & delectable vegan roasted carrot dip. Only 28 calories per 1/4 cup and naturally vegan, paleo, and oil-free.
- 12 ounces (about 340 g) carrots, peeled and ends trimmed off
- nonstick cooking spray
- fine sea salt & ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) nondairy milk of choice
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425F (215C). Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut the carrots into 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) pieces; spread in a single layer and season with salt & pepper. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes until very tender and slightly browned at edges. Cool slightly.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, process the carrots, milk, smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin, and lemon juice until blended and smooth. Stop and scrape the container multiple times.
- Transfer the dip/spread to a bowl or storage container. Season to taste with additional salt & pepper as desired. Serve with the vegetables, breads and/or crackers of your choice!
Storage: Store the dip/spread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Variation: Thai Carrot Dip–Use full-fat canned coconut milk for the nondairy milk and lime juice in place of the lemon juices. Omit the paprika, cumin and garlic powder and add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Thai red curry paste.
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 28
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 145.6 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 0.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: carrots, dip, spread, nut-free, bean-free, oil-free, seed-free, tahini-free, hummus, paleo, vegan, low-calorie, gluten-free