Healthy and easy vegan pasta e fagioli (Italian pasta and bean soup). Made with chickpea pasta, it is grain-free, gluten-free, and high in protein (16.8 g per 1 and 1/2 cups serving)!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (28-ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 2 15-ounce cans butter beans or white beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 ounces small elbow chickpea pasta (see notes for options)
- Optional: finely chopped fresh parsely leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, onion, carrots, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook and stir for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the water, tomatoes, and Italian herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, coarsely mash 1 can of the drained beans. Add to the soup along with remaining beans, and pasta, and simmer until the pasta is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Storage: Store the cooled soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Pasta Options: If you do not need or want the soup to be grain-free, feel free to use the (small-shape) pasta of your choice. I do not recommend gluten-free pastas made from rice (they tend to disintegrate in soup).
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Serving Size: 1 and 1/2 cups
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 11.7 g
- Sodium: 437.4 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.7 g
- Fiber: 13.9 g
- Protein: 16.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: paste e fagioli, vegan, high protein, plant protein, grain-free, chickpea pasta, easy, quick, healthy, clean eating, healthy soup, grain-free pasta