Lemony Brussels sprouts salad is the fresh and crunchy dish your winter meal needs. You can make it with or without oil. You only need 3 ingredients to make it!
- Using a very sharp knife, thinly slice the Brussels sprouts. Use your fingers to separate the shreds.
- Place the shredded sprouts into a large bowl of ice water. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Drain the sprouts and place in a salad spinner. Spin the sprouts until they are completely dry. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Using a microplane, finely grate 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of zest from the lemon. Squeeze enough juice from the lemon to measure 1 and 1/2 tablespoons.
- Place the oil, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small jar. Cover and shake, vigorously, until combined. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Serve!
Storage: Although best served immediately, the dressed salad will keep stay crisp in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Oil-Free Options: (1) Avocado–Replace the oil with 3 tablespoons mashed, ripe avocado. I recommend mashing the avocado on a cutting board with a fork. Keep mashing until the avocado is completely smooth (or as close to it as possible). Stir the mashed avocado, lemon zest and lemon juice together in a small bowl until blended. Pour over the salad and toss to coat; (2) Full-fat Canned Coconut Milk–Replace the oil with 2 tablespoons well-stirred, full-fat canned coconut milk.
- Category: Salad
- Serving Size: about 1 and 1/2 cups
- Calories: 97
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 28.3 mg
- Fat: 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.1 g
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Brussels sprouts, salad, lemon, 3 ingredients, easy, healthy, clean eating, keto, vegan, paleo, low calorie