Vanilla almond flour cake, made with ease in 1 bowl! It is vegan, oil-free, grain-free, gluten-free, Paleo, and made with 6 ingredients.
- 1 and 3/4 cups (196 g) blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- 2/3 cup (128 g) potato starch (see notes for options)
- 1/2 cup (96 g) coconut sugar (see notes for options)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons (20 g) flaxseed meal (see notes for options)
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- Optional/adjustable: 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional: Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Lightly spray an 8-inch round or square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, potato starch, coconut sugar, flaxseed meal, baking powder and (optional) salt.
- Measure the water and add the vanilla to it. Pour into bowl with almond flour mixture and whisk until blended and smooth. Spread into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out with only moist crumbs attached.
- Transfer cake to a cooling rack and cool completely in pan. Run a butter knife around edge of pan and invert cake on a plate. Turn right side up on cake plate.
- If desired, lightly dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
Storage: Store the completely cooled cake in a covered container at room temperature for 2 days; store inanairtight container in the refrigerator for 5 days or the freezer for 1 month.
Potato Starch Tips/Options: Be sure to use potato starch, not potato flour; they are different ingredients in the U.S. Potato starch is bright white, potato flour is slightly tan in color. The cake works best made with potato starch, but an equal amount of cornstarch (if grain-free is not necessary) also work. Tapioca starch does not work as a substitute (I have tried).
Coconut Sugar Options: An equal amount of brown sugar or granulated sugar can be used in place of the coconut sugar.
Flaxseed Meal Options: An equal amount of chia meal (ground chia seeds) can be used in place of the flaxseed meal.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/10 of cake)
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 10.7 g
- Sodium: 109.7 mg
- Fat: 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.5 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 4.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: almond flour, cake, oil-free, grain-free, vegan, gluten-free, 1-bowl, layer cake, easy