Craving bread? Then head to the pantry and grab a bag of lentils to make my rustic, 2-ingredient lentil flax bread ! It is vegan, oil-free, high in protein (8.5 g per wedge), gluten-free, and ready in under an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C). Lightly spray or grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet.
- Rinse the lentils in a sieve or colander to remove any dust or debris.
- Combine the lentils and boiling water in a medium bowl. Let stand 15 minutes to soften. DO NOT DRAIN.
- Place the lentils and their liquid, flaxseed meal, additional 1 cup water, and (optional) salt in a blender. Blend on high speed until completely blended and smooth. Spread in prepared skillet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the surface of the bread appears dry and the center feels set to the touch.
- Cool the bread in the skillet for 10 minutes before removing and cutting into wedges.
Storage: Store the completely cooled bread in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Lentil Options: I used common brown/tan lentils, but an equal amount of any other lentils will work (e.g., red, split red, yellow, green or black lentils).
Note: Nutrition calculations were made without the optional salt.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 wedge (1/8 of recipe)
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.7 g
- Fiber: 9.7 g
- Protein: 8.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: lentils, flax, flaxseed meal, bread, grain-free, vegan, grain-free bread, lentil bread, 2 ingredients, oil-free, gluten-free, high protein bread, high protein