Wholesome chickpea flour flax sandwich bread that tastes like whole wheat! Made with 5 ingredients, it is vegan, grain-free, oil-free & easy to make.
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Spray or grease a 9×5-inch (22.5×12.5 cm) loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the chickpea flour, flaxseed meal, coconut sugar, baking soda and salt until blended, breaking up any lumps in the chickpea flour.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, combine the water and vinegar; pour into the chickpea flour mixture, stirring until combined (the batter will be thick).
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top (I dip a rubber spatula or knife in water to smooth the top).
- Using a sharp knife, make a lengthwise slash, about 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) deep, across the loaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes until risen, golden brown, and hollow soulding when gently tapped on top.
- Cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 20 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges to loosen the bread, and then invert loaf from pan. Turn right side up and cool completely on cooling rack.
- Slice it thick, ultra-thin, or anywhere in between!
Storage: Store the cooled loaf in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 3 days, the refrigerator for 2 weeks or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Sugar Options: An equal amount of brown sugar or the granulated sugar of your choice canna be used in place of the coconut sugar. An equal amount of liquid sweetener (e.g., maple syrup, agave nectar) can also be used; add it along with the water-vinegar mixture.
Sugar-Free Option: The bread will work without the sugar (it is added for a flavor balance); if you need to leave it out, go right ahead.
Vinegar options: Any light-colored vinegar will work here (e.g., apple cider vinegar, white vinegar) or use an equal amount of lemon juice.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/14 of loaf)
- Calories: 74
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 205.2 mg
- Fat: 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.5 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 4.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: flax, flaxseed meal, 5 ingredients, easy bread, grain-free bread, grain-free baking, sandwich bread, chickpea flour bread, gluten-free bread, yeast-free, oil-free, egg-free, dairy-free