My vegan keto sunflower seed bread is equal parts scrumptious, frugal and easy to make! It is also nut-free, oil-free, & grain-free.
- 11 oz (312 g) raw sunflower seed kernels (about 2 and 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup (56 g) coconut flour
- 1/4 cup (20 g) whole psyllium husks
- 1/4 cup (26 g) flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lemon juice
- Optional: additional raw sunflower seed kernels for topping
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Spray the interior of a glass or ceramic 9×5-inch (22.5×12.5-cm) loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a high speed blender, food processor or flour mill, grind the sunflower seeds into a fine flour; transfer to a large bowl.
- Whisk the coconut flour, psyllium husks, flaxseed meal, baking powder, and salt into the sunflower seed flour.
- Combine the water and lemon juice in a measuring cup or bowl; add to the flour mixture, stirring until completely blended into a thick, moist dough.
- Shape and squeeze the dough into a ball and place on a piece of plastic wrap, wax paper or parchment paper. Use the wrap to shape the dough into an oblong loaf shape to fit the pan.
- Unwrap the dough and place into the prepared pan (do not press it out to conform to the pan). If desired, press sunflower seeds on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing the loaf to a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Psyllium Tip: This bread does not work well with psyllium powder of any kind. Be sure to use whole psyllium husks.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/14 of loaf)
- Calories: 142
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 120 mg
- Fat: 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.6 g
- Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: egg-free keto bread, egg-free keto bread, sunflower seed flour bread, no eggs, Vegan, egg-free, low-carb, dairy-free, vegan sunflower seed bread, Bread, keto bread, coconut flour, keto, sandwich bread, grain-free, low-carb bread, ketogenic