These jam-filled vegan oat thumbprint cookies are a mouthwatering and delicious treat, suitable for breakfast, snacks & dessert! They are gluten-free & easy to make.
- 2 cups (200 g) rolled oats (certified gluten-free, as needed)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or packed brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or spice(s) of choice)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) smooth nut or seed butter (e.g., peanut, almond, pepita)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) avocado oil (or oil of choice; see note for going oil-free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons all-fruit preserves (or jam or preserves of choice)
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the oats until they resemble a coarse flour or meal. Transfer the oats to a large bowl.
- Add the coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt to bowl of oat meal; stir to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the jam), stirring until completely blended.
- Using a small cookie scoop or spoon, scoop dough in 2 teaspoon portions. Roll each portion into a ball and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Flatten (slightly) each dough ball, and then press a deep thumbprint size impression in the center. Fill each impression with 1/2 teaspoon preserves.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a cooling rack to cool completley.
Storage: Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 3 months.
Ready to Use Oat Flour: You can use pre-ground oat flour if you have it on hand! Use the same weight (200 g), which is about 1 and 2/3 cups.
Sunflower Seed Butter: The cookies are great made with smooth sunflower seed butter. However, sunflower seed butter can turned baked goods green (it’s a natural reaction and perfectly safe). If you do not want green cookies, do the following when using sunflower seed butter: (1) replace the baking soda with 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, and (2) add 1 and 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar to the dough along with the water.
Oil-Free Option: The oil can be replaced by an equal amount of unsweetened applesauce.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 4.7 g
- Sodium: 60.9 mg
- Fat: 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.9 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: oats, flourless, flourless oat cookies, vegan oat cookies, gluten-free, gluten-free cookies, vegan cookies, jam thumbprints