Your new favorite nibble: Baked Split Pea-Nuts! Made from humble split peas, they are nut-free, vegan, high in protein, frugal, and fabulous.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring a medium saucepan, filled at least halfway with water, to a boil over high heat. Add the split peas, reduce heat slightly (to prevent boiling over) and boil for 20 minutes. The peas should be just tender enough to bite through.
- Drain the peas and rinse under cold water until cool. Place the peas in a clean dish cloth to towl off as much water as possible. Transfer to another dry dish towel or paper towels to dry fruther (get the peas as dry as possible).
- Place the peas in a medium mixing bowl; toss with the oil and salt (& any optional spices) until coated. Spread in an even. single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 23 to 28 minutes–opening the oven and stirring once or twice– until dried, golden brown, and crispy-looking (a few peas, at the edges, will be turning a darker brown). Remove from oven and immediately transfer peas to a medium bowl. Cool completely.
Storage: Store the split pea-nuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.
Tip: Storing the split pea-nuts (at least a day) in an airtight container gives them more of a peanut texture (crisp, but with a smooth and yielding bite).
Spice Ideas: To spice up the split-pea nuts, consider adding 1/4 to 3/4 teaspoon of your favorite savory ground spices. Some of my favorites are:
- Black pepper
- Chile powder (regular, chipotle, ancho)
- Smoked paprika (hot or sweet)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Curry powder
- Garam masala
- Ras el hanout
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 98
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 149.1 mg
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.8 g
- Fiber: 6.8 g
- Protein: 6.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: split peas, nuts made from split peas, split pea-nuts, nut-free nuts, nuts made from legumes, vegan, grain-free, gluten-free, low-fat, high protein, plant protein, high protein snack, vegan protein,