Chocolate bliss! Vegan sunflower chocolate crinkle cookies are oil-free, grain-free, and nut-free, but also pure decadence in every bite! Made with DIY sunflower seed flour, they can also be made with almond flour.
- 1 cup (170 g/ 6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips (certified GF, vegan as needed)
- 1 cup (112 g) sunflower seed flour (or almond flour)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (see notes for options)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium, microwave safe mixing bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute; stop and stir the chocolate. Microwave 30 seconds longer. Stop and stir until chips are completely melted and smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients–except the coconut— to bowl of melted chocolate. Be sure to add the hot water last, not first, to the bowl of melted chocolate. Stir until completely blended into a cohesive dough. Cover and place in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes (to thicken enough to be scooped).
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the coconut into a small food processor; process until very finely chopped. Transfer to a small, shallow bowl.
- Using a small cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop out 21 equal portions of dough (I place them o a piece of wax paper). Roll each portion into a ball, roll in the coconut to coat, and place 3 inches (7.5 cm) apart on prepared baking sheet (about half of the balls).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 11 to 13 minutes until the cookies have spread (crinkled/cracked tops) and are just set at the edges (they will look slightly underdone at the center).
- Remove cookies from the oven and cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring (with a metal spatula) to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Coating Variations: The coconut coating can be left off (no coating at all–you still get crinkles) or replaced by an equal amount of confectioners’ sugar, granulated sugar, crushed candy canes/peppermints, or very finely chopped seeds or nuts.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 97
- Sugar: 7.3 g
- Sodium: 120 mg
- Fat: 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.4 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: sunflower seed flour, nut-free, sunflower seeds, sunflour, sunflour cookies, sunflower seed flour cookies, nut-free, almond flour alternative, gluten-free cookies, grain-free chocolate crinkles, vegan grain-free cookies, egg-free, dairy-free