A fit and frugal dinner: my easy split pea curry (also known as dal), made in one pot! It is vegan, high in protein, oil-free & gluten-free.
- 3 and 1/2 cups (875 mL) water, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (plus more to taste)
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 and 1/4 cups (255 g) dried yellow split peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canned tomato puree (see notes for options)
Suggested Accompaniments: Brown rice, Vegetable Rice, Spiralized vegetable noodles, lime or lemon wedges (for squeezing onto curry
Suggested Toppings: Chopped cilantro or mint leaves, finely chopped red onion
- In a medium, heavy saucepan, combine 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the water with the onion. Bring to a boil over medium high heat; cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the ginger, coriander, turmeric, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, (optional) cinnamon, split peas and tomato puree. Cook and stir for 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the remaining 3 cups water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cook, partially covered, for 35 to 40 minutes until the peas are tender (If you prefer the peas even more tender, cook for 5 minutes longer). Season with additional salt to taste.
- Serve with any of the suggested accompaniments or toppings, as desired.
- Serve warm with any of the suggested accompaniments and/or garnishes.
Storage: Store any leftover curry in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Tomato Options: An equal amount of marinara sauce can be used in place o the tomato puree, or 1.5 tablespoons tomato paste plus 2.5 additional tablespoons of water.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1 and 1/4 cups (310 mL)
- Calories: 238
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 354 mg
- Fat: 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.6 g
- Fiber: 17.5 g
- Protein: 17.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: oil-free, split peas, yellow split peas, vegan protein, plant protein, clean eating, clean eats, fitness food, easy vegan curry, high protein