My crusty, high-rising, fine-textured gluten-free buckwheat sandwich bread will please everyone! Easy to make, it is also vegan, oil-free, sugar-free, yeast-free and perfectly delicious.
- 1 and 1/2 cups (180g) buckwheat flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups (210 g) brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 and 1/2 cups (625 mL) water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar (see notes for options)
- 1/3 cup (27 g) whole psyllium husks
- rolled oats or seeds (e.g., sesame seeds, poppy seeds, hemp hearts)
- Preheat the oven to 325F(160C). Spray or grease a 9×5-inch (22.5×12.5 cm) loaf baking pan and (optional) line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the buckwheat flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until blended.
- In a medium bowl whisk the water, vinegar, and psyllium husks until blended. Let stand for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the psyllium mixture to the flour mixture and mix to completely combine into a dough (the best method: use clean hands to squish the ingredients together. Alternatively, use the paddle attachment on a stand mixer). Roughly shape the dough into a ball.
- Rinse off any excess dough from hands. With moist hands, shape the dough into a loaf shape to fit the loaf pan. Place in the prepared pan. Use moist hands to smooth the top and round the sides slightly. If desired, sprinkle with optional toppings.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 90 minutes until the surface appears golden brown, dry and crusty. The bread will sound hollow when tapped. Cool in the pan, on a cooling rack, for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and cool completely on the cooling rack before slicing.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, and the freezer for up to 6 months.
Vinegar Options: An equal amount of any other vinegar, or lemon or lime juice, can be used in place of the cider vinegar.
Psyllium Tip: Be sure to use whole psyllium husks, not psyllium powder. Psyllium husks look like small flakes and are pale tan in color.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/14 of loaf)
- Calories: 106
- Sugar: 0.4 g
- Sodium: 242.5 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.2 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: buckwheat flour, brown rice flour, quinoa flour, easy vegan gluten-free bread, sandwich bread, egg-free, dairy-free, oil-free, gluten-free, yeast-free, sugar-free, easy recipe