This fast & easy Italian white bean soup is cozy, comforting & delicious! It is also vegan, oil-free, high in protein, & super frugal.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 cup chopped peeled carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (more or less, to taste)herbs.
- 6 cups (1.5 L) water
- 3 15-oz (425 g) cans white beans, rinsed and drained (see note)
- 3 cups (100 g) packed spinach leaves
- In a large soup pan, bring the 1/4 cup water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook and stir for 7 to 8 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the herbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook and stir for 1 minute longer.
- Add the 6 cups of water and all but 1 cup of the beans. Mash the reserved cup of beans and add to the soup.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the spinach leaves and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until wilted. Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings, as desired. Serve!
Storage: Store cooled leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Beans: Any variety of white beans can be used in the recipe (e.g, navy, cannellini, Great Northern). If using homemade cooked beans, you will need 3.5 cups (780 g) drained beans.
Garlic: If you prefer fresh garlic, use 4 teaspoons minced fresh garlic in place of the garlic powder, Add it, along with the herbs, in step 2 of the recipe.
Optional Finishes for the Soup:
- A splash of lemon juice or vinegar (the acidity brightens and heightens the flavors)
- A tablespoon of tomato paste (stir in before adding the spinach leaves; it instantly deepens the flavors)
- 1 14.5 ounce can drained petite-diced tomatoes (add during the final 5 minutes of simmering)
- Vegan Parmesan cheese (if you are not vegan, use regular Parmesan)
- Chopped fresh herbs (e.g., parsley or basil)
- Thinly sliced green onions or minced red onion
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 and 1/2 cups (425 mL)
- Calories: 172
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 278 mg
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.8 g
- Fiber: 14.2 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Bean soup, vegan soup, vegan soup, fitness food, clean eating, clean eats, oil-free, oil- free vegan, gluten-free, high protein, vegan protein, plant based, dairy-free, plant protein, healthy soup, grain-free, frugal, easy recipe, Italian, Italian soup, beans, legumes