Easy to make 2-ingredient almond flour tortillas! Tender & flexible, they are vegan, oil-free, keto, Paleo, & only 2.7 g net carbs each.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the almond flour, whole psyllium husks and (optional) salt, breaking up any lumps in the almond flour.
- Add the water to the bowl, stirring until combined. Let stand 5 minutes to thicken and then shape dough into a ball (it will feel firm and moist, but not wet).
- Cut, or otherwise divide, the dough into 5 equal pieces. Shape each piece of dough into a ball.
- Place one dough ball between two large pieces of wax paper or parchment paper. Using a rolling pin or tortilla press, roll or press into a 6-inch (15 cm) circle. Carefully peel off top layer of paper.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot. (If it is not seasoned cast iron skilletor other kind of nonstick pan, spritz with nonstick spray). Place tortilla, dough side down, into skillet and carefully peel off second piece of paper.
- Cook the tortilla for 1 to 2 minutes until it puffs slightly in areas and the bottom is browned in spots (when you lift tortilla with a spatula). Flip the tortilla and cook the other side for 1 to 2 minutes longer until golden brown in spots.
- Transfer tortilla to a metal cooling rack and repeat with remaining pieces of dough.
- The tortillas are delicious warm, room temperature, or cold.
Storage: Store the cooled tortillas in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 2 weeks or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Psyllium Powder Option: It is best to use whole psyllium husks for best results. If psyllium power is what you have on hand, use 2 and 1/2 teaspoons, plus a pinch (13 g total) of psyllium husk powder in place of the 2 and 1/2 tablespoons whole psyllium husks.
Tip for Removing Tortillas from Paper: if the paper is really sticking to the tortilla, place the tortilla (in its paper) in the freezer for 3 or 4 minutes (not much longer). The tortilla will come off with ease!
- Category: Bread
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 tortilla
- Calories: 137
- Sugar: 0.8 g
- Sodium: 2.6 mg
- Fat: 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.9 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: keto tortilla, low-carb tortilla, high fiber tortilla, oil-free keto, oil-free keto bread, no eggs, keto flatbread, 3 ingredients or less, Vegan, grain-free vegan bread, egg-free, low-carb, dairy-free, gluten free, high-fiber, Bread, keto bread, paleo, almond flour, oil-free, oil-free bread, portable food, keto, gluten-free tortilla, Gluten-Free, grain-free tortilla, tortilla, vegan tortilla, grain-free, portable power food, ketogenic, Paleo, Paleo tortilla