Vegan gluten-free 100% millet sandwich bread is the new white bread! This fine-textured, crusty loaf has a toasty, mild-corn flavor that goes with everything and makes a superior piece of toast. Easy to make, it is also oil-free, sugar-free, yeast-free and perfectly delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 325F(160C). Spray or grease a 9×5-inch (22.5×12.5 cm) loaf baking pan (or line with parchment paper).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the millet flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until blended.
- In a medium bowl whisk the water, vinegar, and psyllium husks until blended. Let stand for about 5 minutes until thickened into a gel.
- Add the psyllium mixture to the flour mixture and mix (using a wooden spoon, rubber spatula, or clean hands) to completely combine into a dough. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to combine all of the ingredients (the dough will be thick). Gather the dough in a rough ball (while still in bowl).
- With moist hands, shape the dough into a loaf shape to fit the loaf pan. Place in the prepared pan. Use moist hands to smooth the top and round the sides slightly. If desired, sprinkle with optional toppings.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 90 minutes until the surface appears pale golden brown, dry and crusty. The bread will sound hollow when tapped. Cool in the pan, on a cooling rack, for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and cool completely on the cooling rack before slicing.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, and the freezer for up to 6 months.
Millet Flour: Millet flour can be purchased or ground at home from whole millet. Use a high-speed blender to grind the millet to a fine flour (it takes about 1 minute), or grind by the 1/4 cup in a small electric coffee mill.
Vinegar Options: An equal amount of any other vinegar, or lemon or lime juice, can be used in place of the cider vinegar.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/14 of loaf)
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 231.1 mg
- Fat: 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.5 g
- Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: millet, millet flour, easy vegan gluten-free bread, sandwich bread, egg-free, dairy-free, oil-free, gluten-free, yeast-free, sugar-free, easy recipe