It’s always a good time to bake (and eat!) lemon bread, and my vegan grain-free lemon loaf is a perfect way to indulge! Made in one bowl (no mixer required!), it is loaded with lemon flavor and has a fine texture that you are sure to love.
- 1 cup (150 mL) nondairy milk (e.g., almond, hemp, cashew)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (5 g) whole psyllium husks (see notes for using psyllium powder OR flax meal)
- 2 cups (224 g) blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup (32 g) tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup (28 g) coconut flour
- 3/4 cup (144 g) organic cane sugar (see notes for options)
- 2 and 3/4 teaspoons (13.2 g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) neutral oil of your choice (e.g., avocado, safflower, melted coconut)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) lemon juice
- 1 and 1/4 cups grain-free powdered sugar (my DIY recipe)
Make the loaf:
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Spray or grease a 9×5-inch (22.5×12.5 cm) loaf pan.
- Measure the nondairy milk, zest and lemon juice into a glass measuring cup. Stir in the psyllium husk and let stand 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the psyllium mixture, oil and vanilla to the flour mixture; stir until completely combined (the batter will be thick). Scrape and spread into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown, risen, and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with only moist crumbs attached.
- Transfer pan to a cooling rack; cool the loaf completely in the pan. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze.
Make the lemon glaze:
- In a small bowl, stir together the lemon zest, lemon juice and powdered sugar. Use the back of spoon to break up any lumps.
- Run a butter knife around edge of pan to loosen the loaf. Spoon and spread with the glaze. Let set at least 15 minutes before slicing.
Sugar Option: You can use an equal amount of coconut sugar in place of the cane sugar, I did not want the cake to be brown, hence the cane sugar. The loaf is delicious made with coconut sugar. I do not recommend using a sugar-free replacement (e.g., xylitol, monkfruit, etc) for this recipe.
Storage: Store in airtight container at cool room temperature for up to 2 days, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or freezer for up to 3 months.
Q: Can I use something else to replace the flours (almond, tapioca or coconut)? A: For the almond and coconut, no (not without a substantial amount of experimentation and fine-tuning). You might be able to substitute arrowroot, potato starch, or cornstarch for the tapioca flour, but I have not tested it.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/14 of loaf)
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 19.8 g
- Sodium: 199 mg
- Fat: 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.4 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan lemon loaf, gluten-free vegan lemon loaf, grain-free vegan lemon loaf, almond flour, coconut flour