Perfect, and perfectly delicious, grain-free vegan biscotti made with chickpea flour & coconut flour! Healthy, simple to make, and gluten-free, too.
I promised I’d be adding more grain-free, nut-free vegan baked goods, so here comes number two: biscotti!
I designed these biscotti to have the taste and texture of their traditional counterparts.
I wanted them to have to have good crunch, but I’ve never been a fan of the tooth-breakingly hard biscotti that demand a dunk in coffee before consuming. Nor should they be crumbly cookies loaded with butter and sugar.
I’m Goldilocks in all matters biscotti: not too hard, not soft, but just right. These are just that.
Chickpea Flour + Coconut Flour
The high protein content of the chickpea flour allows it to work double as a flour and egg substitute, with the same result each time. Coconut flour contributes lightness to the finished biscotti, as well as a natural sweetness.
Crunchy yet Tender Texture
These biscotti have a pleasant crunch that will hold up in dunking, but they are tender enough to savor solo. Like other biscotti recipes, you can flavor these in any which way to your palate’s content: zests, extracts, spices, chocolate chips or seeds in place of the fruit, you name it.
These are great travelers, even in my running pack :).
Natural coconut sugar gives these biscotti a mellow, subtle sweetness (Completely breakfast friendly. Yes. Breakfast.) I like adding about 1/4 cup of finely chopped dried fruit, but you can also add nuts, seeds, coconut, chocolate chips/chunks, or any combination you choose.
- 1 and 1/4 cups (150 g) chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (see notes for options)
- 2 tablespoons (14 g) coconut flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) avocado oil (see notes for options)
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped dried fruit (e.g., apricots, raisins, cranberries)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, coconut sugar, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the oil, water, vanilla, and dried fruit to bowl, stirring until blended. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes to thicken.
- Place dough on prepared baking sheet and, using moistened hands, shape into a 10×2-inch (22.5×5 cm) rectangle.
- Bake in preheated oven for 23 to 26 minutes or until golden and center is set. Let cool on pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 250°F (125C).
- Cut rectangle crosswise into 1/2-inch (1 cm) slices. Place slices, cut side down, on baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool on sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Category: Dessert, Cookie
- Method: Baking
Keywords: biscotti, grain-free, vegan, chickpea flour, coconut flour, gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, easy