A favorite all-American cake gets a makeover: introducing my easy vegan gluten-free red velvet cake! It is moist, delicious, & decadent.
- 2 and 3/4 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend (see notes for options)
- 2 cups natural cane sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa power
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 3/4 cups plain nondairy milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil (e.g., melted coconut oil, avocado oil, safflower oil)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white or cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup red food coloring (use natural, like Chefmaster made from plant extracts)
- Non-Dairy Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
- 2 cups assorted berries (optional)
- 2–1/2 cups confectioners’ (icing) sugar
- 2 8-oz containers/packages Vegan Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan margarine, softened (I recommend Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour (with some additional GF flour) two 9-inch (22.5 cm) round cake pans. Tap out the excess flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the GF flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add non-dairy milk, oil, food coloring, and vanilla to flour mixture and stir until just blended. Whisk in vinegar until just blended.
- Immediately pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Run a knife around edge of pans, then invert cakes onto rack to cool completely.
- Place one cake layer, flat side up, on a cake plate or platter. Spread 3/4 cup of the frosting evenly over bottom layer. Top with the second cake layer, flat side down. Spread the remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. If desired, arrange berries decoratively on top. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Frosting: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat confectioner’s sugar, cream cheese, margarine and vanilla until smooth and creamy (do not overbeat). Use immediately.
Flour Options: If you are not following a gluten-free diet, feel free to use regular all-purpose flour in place of the gluten-free flour
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/16 of cake
Keywords: red velvet cake, vegan gluten-free red velvet cake, gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, nut-free