Decadent and delicious oat shortbread that is both vegan and gluten-free! A variation for coconut oil shortbread is also included.
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, allowing paper to overhang on the sides (for removal of the shortbread).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, potato starch and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together (I used a wooden spoon) the margarine and coconut sugar until blended and somewhat fluffy. Add the oat flour mixture, stirring until combined (it may look slightly crumbly).
- Press dough evenly and firmly into prepared pan. Prick with a fork. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes until shortbread is cooked through and pale golden. Cool completely in pan.
- Using paper overhang, carefully remove shortbread from pan; place on cutting board. Cut into 4 quarters; cut each quarter in half, then in half again, making 16 rectangles total.
Potato Starch Subs: An equal amount of rice flour, cornstarch or arrowroot can be used in place of the potato starch.
Butter Options: If you eat dairy, feel free to use 2 sticks of butter in place of the margarine.
Sugar Options: An equal amount of the brown sugar or granular sugar of your choice can be used in place of the coconut sugar.
Oat Flour Tip: You can grind your own oat flour in a high-speed blender, food processor, or blade (not burr) coffee grinder. It will take about 1-1/4 cups of rolled oats to yield 1 cup of oat flour.
Coconut Oil Shortbread: Add the coconut sugar to the oat flour mixture in step 2. Add 1 cup melted coconut oil to the oat mixture, stirring to combine. Press into prepared pan and place in freezer for 30 minutes to harden. Proceed with remaining steps.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: British, Scottish
Keywords: vegan, gluten-free, shortbread, oat shortbread, vegan gluten-free oat shortbread