Crisp at the edges and chewy near the centers, my chickpea flour chocolate chip cookies will WOW you! They are grain-free, gluten-free, vegan, and irresistible.
- 1 and 1/2 cups (180 g) chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick/125mL) vegan margarine OR coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips (or more, as desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 (175C). Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the melted margarine or oil, sugar, water and vanilla. Add the flour mixture, stirring until combined; stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a small cookie scoop, or tablespoon, scoop the dough into rounded mounds onto the prepared cookie sheet (space about 2 inches/5 cm apart). If desired, press a few additional mini chips on top.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven; cool cookies on sheet for 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
Storage: Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container at (cool) room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 2 weeks, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Tip: I strongly recommend that you weigh the chickpea flour rather than use dry cup measures. It is very easy to overload the measuring cups, which can lead to dry cookies. If using measuring cups, very lightly spoon in the flour to measure.
Tip: I used Earth Balance soy-free buttery sticks in my recipe testing. If using a the vegan margarine option, be sure to use sticks, not margarine spread (in tubs). The latter has a higher water content than the former and will significantly alter the recipe.
Sugar Options: An equal amount of brown sugar can be used in place of the coconut sugar. Regular granulated sugar can also be used, but it will result in pale-colored, crisper, and less caramel-y cookies.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 98
- Sugar: 7.2 g
- Sodium: 121 mg
- Fat: 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.6 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chickpea flour, chocolate chips, cookies, grain-free, vegan, gluten-free, easy