A Healthy & Wholesome Pizookie
What on a earth is a pizookie? I had the same question when my son asked me to make one a week into the shutdown. He whipped out his phone and pulled up a photo of a chocolate chip skillet cookie heaped with multiple scoops of vanilla ice-cream.
Oh. Pizza + Cookie = Pizookie. Got it.
I think chocolate chip skillet cookie is more clear, but pizookie definitely sounds more fun. And because we definitely needed some fun, I made one. And then another. And another. My tall, athletic 13-year-old can eat all the pizookie he craves, but I needed to come up with a healthier version for myself.
So I did. Because we all need a healthy chocolate chip skillet cookie right about now.
Oat & Coconut Flour Pizookie
To make this a skillet cookie I could I slashed the sugar and reached for a combination of oats and coconut flour to replace the traditional all-purpose wheat flour. Further, I made my rendition of this skillet sweet:
How to Make it
The first step is to grind 1 cup of oats in a food processor. Pulse the oats until they resemble a relatively fine flour.
The second step? Add everything else–coconut flour, nut butter, water, vanilla, flaxseed meal, baking soda, a smidge of salt and some vanilla–except for the chocolate chips and pulse until completely blended.
Add 1 tablespoon of the chocolate chips and pulse to combine. I prefer miniature chocolate chips (it’s easier to distribute a small amount through the cookie dough), but regular chocolate chips are fine, too.
Next, spread the cookie dough into a sprayed or lightly oiled 6-inch (15 cm) cast iron skillet. Sprinkle with the remaining two tablespoon of chocolate chips.
Finally, bake in a preheated 350F (175C) oven for 20 to 23 minute until golden brown and the center is set.
Allow the cookie to cool for about 5 minutes in the skillet before serving. Serve the pizookie warm or cool completely. It is sweet satisfaction either way!
You can definitely enjoy a slice for breakfast or a snack on the go. Let me rephrase that: I have definitely enjoyed slices for breakfast and snacks on the go. These days, on the go means from the kitchen to my office. Sometimes, the living room :).
I encourage you to do the same.
Stay safe and well, friends, and Happy Baking!
More Gluten-Free & Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies to Love:Print
Also known as a “Pizookie,” my healthy chocolate chip skillet cookie is a sweet treat that doubles as a nourishing breakfast to go. It is vegan, gluten-free and oil-free.
- 1 cup (90 g) rolled oats (certified GF as needed)
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons smooth nut butter (I used natural peanut butter)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips (I used miniature chips)
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Lightly grease or spray a 6-inch (15 cm) cast iron skillet.
- In a food processor, process the oats into a fine flour.
- Add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate chips and process, using on/off pules, until completely blended and smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of the chocolate chis; pulse to combine.
- Scrape the cookie dough into the prepared skillet, smoothing the top. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 23 minutes until golden brown and set at the center. Remove from oven and let cool at least 5 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tip: Remove the skillet cookie from the cast iron skillet (do not store in the skillet or it will take on the flavor of the iron pan).
Storage: Store the cooled cookie in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1dat, the refrigerator for 5 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1/8 of skillet cookie
- Calories: 108
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 93.5 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.6 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pizookie, chocolate chip cookie, skillet cookie, healthy cookie, vegan, chocolate chips, coconut flour, oats, gluten-free, vegan