Happy Thanksgiving Eve, everybody! I hope that any stress is being dialed down, and the fun, relaxation, and good eats are amping up.
I am spending the next few days in Arkansas with my husband’s family. The weather could not be more beautiful–cool, crisp and sunny– and I am so thankful to be here. I have had the nastiest cold for the past week and a half and, thank heavens, I am finally on the mend, baking has been baked, and travel is complete.
Easy Grain-Free Pie Crust
So let’s get to this pie crust. I apologize for getting this out to all of you a few days late (this is the last of 3 grain-free pie crust posts: don’t miss the Tiger Nut Flour Crust and the Coconut Flour-Almond Flour Pie Crust).
With much protesting, I finally succumbed to spending some time in bed to get over this cold, which put my baking and posting schedule out of whack. But it’s always time to make more pie, right? And I know you will love everything about this easy pie crust.
Here it is: My No-Roll, Chickpea Flour Pie Crust!
This healthy and easy pie crust is:
- Made without rolling (just press it into the pan!!!)
- Vegan (made with coconut oil, or butter or ghee if not vegan)
- A one-bowl recipe
- Mixed and ready to bake in 10 minutes
You can mix up the crust in minutes, with vigor, in a single bowl (it is impossible to overwork the dough)–no mixer or food processor required. Yippee!
The dough is quite moist, a little bit crumbly, and, as you can see in the photo below, a sunny yellow (it is one of the only pie crusts I know of that gets lighter in color as it bakes!). I just want to assure you that that is exactly as it should be!
Put all of the dough in a 9-inch pie pan and press against the bottom and sides of the pan. There is enough crust to form a crimped edge, if you like, too.
Delicious, Versatile & Fuss-Free
Like the other two grain-free pie crusts I’ve posted, this one is versatile for all of your favorite pies, including savory options. It has the short, tender texture of an all-purpose flour pie crust–really–but none of the fuss of proper mixing, rolling, and pie weights.
Have a very Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!Print
A simple, grain-free & gluten-free pie crust made with chickpea flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour and salt.
- Add the softened coconut oil (or butter, or ghee), water and maple syrup; using your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture until completely blended (do not worry about “overworking” the dough–you cannot overwork it!)
- Evenly press the dough into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate, crimping edge, if desired. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or freeze for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Unbaked Crust: the crust is ready for use in baked pie recipes calling for an unbaked crust (i.e., simply fill and bake). It can also be loosely covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated until ready to fill and bake.
- Par-baked Crust: Prick the bottom of crust 5 to 6 times with fork. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and use in baked pie recipes calling for par-baked crust.
- Fully-baked Crust: Prick the bottom of crust 5 to 6 times with fork. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and use in recipes calling for fully-baked crust.
Vegan Option: Use the coconut oil option (in place of the butter).
Savory Pie Crust: Omit the maple syrup and add an extra 2 to 3 teaspoons of water.
Sweetener Options: I not vegan, an equal amount of honey can be used in place of the maple syrup. An equal amount of granulated sweetener (e.g., coconut sugar) + 2 to 3 extra teaspoons water can also be used in place of the maple syrup.
Note: Nutrition calculations were made using coconut oil.
- Category: Pie Crust, Pastry
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 146
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 156.6 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.6 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chickpea flour, pie crust, 3 ingredients, grain-free, grain-free pie crust, easy, no-roll, gluten-free, nut-free