Moist, lightly sweet, and very lemon-y poppy seed bread made with almond flour! It is naturally grain-free, vegan, and is made in 1 bowl (with ease!).
- 2 and 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch or arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1–1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon freeshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Spray or lightly oil the paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the almond flour, tapioca starch, sugar, poppy seeds, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the applesauce, lemon zest and lemon juice to bowl, stirring until blended. Transfer batter to prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 42 to 48 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center of the loaf comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
Tip: Do not fret if the center of the bread sinks slightly after baking; it is very common with egg-free breads. Just be sure to bake until the toothpick comes out with only moist crumbs attached. The bread will be completely baked at this point, regardless of any subsequent sinking.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in an airtight container at room temperature for two days, the refrigerator for 1 week or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Muffin Variation: To make muffins instead of bread, divide the batter evenly between 12 cups (lined with paper or foil liners) of a standard size muffin tin. Bake in a preheated 350F for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center of a muffin comes out with only moist crumbs attached.
- Category: Bread
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 195
- Sugar: 11.7
- Sodium: 196.7 mg
- Fat: 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg