Muffins will always be one of my favorite breakfasts (and snacks!) on the go, and this interpretation of pumpkin muffins provides a healthy new twist.
Rather than relying on traditional wheat flour, my newfangled interpretation of classic pumpkin muffins relies on coconut flour.
Coconut flour is naturally grain-free, gluten-free, nutritious (think high fiber and low carb), plus, it has a natural, subtle sweetness, which allows you to keep any added sugars to a minimum.
Feel free to swap in an equal amount of squash or carrot puree to replace the pumpkin, or use honey or coconut palm sugar in place of the maple syrup.
The one element of this recipe that cannot be varied is the chickpea flour.
The chickpea flour acts as an egg substitute. While other eggs substitutes, such as flaxseed meal, chia seeds, applesuace, or pysllium work in a broad range of recipes, they do not work wit coconut flour. It’s just the nature of coconut flour. In lieu of eggs, chickpea flour (plus water) is the only option for giving the coconut flour the structure needed to work in quick bread recipes such as this
Despite tasting sweet and rich, these lovely muffins have just 112 calories apiece, and will keep you feeling happy and full for hours! Happy baking, everyone!Print
Your new favorite breakfast on the go: vegan coconut flour pumpkin muffins! They are easy-to-make, grain-free, gluten-free and so delicious.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup (90 g) chickpea flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons(45 mL) oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 10 cups of a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, chickpea flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk in the water, pumpkin, oil, coconut sugar, vanilla and vinegar. Add the coconut flour mixture, stirring until blended.
- Divide batter evenly between lined muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes until puffed and surface appears dry. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely in pan.
Storage: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for 3 months.
- Category: Muffins, Bread, Brekafast
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 112
- Sugar: 6.1g
- Sodium: 157 mg
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 75 mg
Keywords: coconut flour, chickpea flour, pumpkin, muffins, grain-free, gluten-free, healthy