Swoon-worthy buckwheat almond shortbread cookies are equal parts treat and energy snack! Made with buckwheat flour, almond flour and coconut, they are vegan, gluten-free & low in sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, process the coconut until it resembles a fine meal. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in the buckwheat flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, optional cardamom, and salt.
- Add the melted coconut oil, water and vanilla to the bowl; stir well until completely combined into a cohesive dough. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Using a medium size cookie scoop (or measure out 1 and 1/2 tablespoons), portion the dough and roll each portion into a ball. Space the balls 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Using your palm or the bottom of a glass, flatten each ball into a round.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 11 to 15 minutes until just barely set at the centers and the edges appear crisp and golden brown (do not overbake–the cookies will firm up more as they cool). Cool 1 minute on the baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completley.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
Storage: Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 90
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 40.6 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.2 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: buckwheat shortbread, vegan shortbread, gluten-free buckwheat shortbread, almond flour, almond meal, healthy shortbread, coconut sugar, low sugar, healthy cookies, healthy shortbread