Chocolate lovers, you have a new favorite cookie recipe: Vegan Chocolate Chickpea Flour Cookies! They are vegan, grain-free, gluten-free, and a cinch to make.
Chickpeas in chocolate cookies? Oh yes! What better way to top off a week of chickpea cookie ideas than with a double dose of everyone’s favorite sweet treat.
- Vegan (egg-free, dairy-free)
- Quick & easy
Ingredients for Vegan Chocolate Chickpea Flour Cookies
The exact amounts of each ingredient are indicated in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- chickpea flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking soda
- plant based margarine or virgin coconut oil, melted
- coconut sugar (or packed brown sugar)
- vanilla extract
- Optional: instant espresso powder (optional)
- miniature semisweet chocolate chips
You will also need some regular tap water and salt.
Chickpea flour works beautifully in a wide range of sweet baking, However, it works especially well with deep flavors, such as chocolate, molasses, dark brown sugar, and spices. In short, it is a perfect ingredient to add to your cold-weather baking repertoire.
And although these cookies are a bit of an indulgence, they still offer a host of health-promoting qualities–antioxidants from the chocolate and cocoa powder, fiber, protein and minerals from the chickpea flour–that more than justify eating two for dessert.
I can also testify that grabbing and gobbling a cookie to go makes great pre-run fuel on a cold winter morning (instant energy + cheer!). Be sure to bring one for your running partner, too 🙂
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Chickpea Flour Cookies
Note that the complete directions are also in the recipe card below.
Another reason to try these cookies? They are incredibly easy to make.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together chickpea flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk in the water, margarine or oil, coconut sugar, vanilla and (optional) espresso powder until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a small cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop rounded mounds of dough onto cookie sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes until set at edges (centers may still look slightly soft).
- Let cool on sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack and cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
What is the Taste & Texture of the Cookies?
These cookies have rich, cake-like middles and crispy-chewy edges. They remind me of cookies that always arrived on a neighbor’s (much anticipated) Christmas cookie plate. I recall a few squabbles breaking out between me and my siblings (and, occasionally, my Dad) over who would get the last one!
Happy baking, everyone!
How to Store the Cookies
Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, the refrigerator for 2 weeks or the freezer for up to 6 months.