Incredible, one-bowl, vegan chickpea flour brownies that are naturally gluten-free and grain-free. You an easily make them oil-free, too. They are a cinch to make and a joy to eat!
Vegan Brownies Made with Chickpea Flour
I am, quite possibly, the only person on the planet with a Google alert for chickpea flour. Admittedly, I have my obsessions 🙂 I am so glad of this one in particular, though, since it resulted in my receiving a tasty news morsel last week.
In Hillary Clinton’s new book, she details all of the healthy food she ate on the road during her campaign. She notes that one of the regular flight attendants on her plane is also a trained nutritionist, who made Clinton and her team special healthy foods in her kitchen in Queens, and then packed them for the flight.
This is the quote that thrilled me:
“Her surprise smash hit was brownies made out of chickpea flour.”
Oh, heck yes!!!
Smash hits need to be shared by all, across the political spectrum, don’t you think? Hence, behold this fudgy, deep chocolate, brownie goodness:
Healthy Highlights of Vegan Chickpea Flour Brownies
My original recipe (in my Chickpea Flour Cookbook) calls for eggs. But since I want these brownies to be enjoyed by as many people as possible, I have come up with a new version that is easier than ever and accommodates even more dietary needs.
Here are the key features of these blissful brownies:
- Vegan (egg-free and dairy-free)
- Made in one bowl
- Ready from start to finish in under an hour
- Traditional fudg-y texture and deep, dark chocolate flavor
- Can be made oil-free with one easy swap
The exact amounts of each ingredient are indicated in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- chickpea flour (also known as besan, or garbanzo bean flour)
- baking powder
- salt (always optional/adjustable according to your needs)nondairy milk
- flaxseed meal
- vanilla extract
- coconut sugar (or packed light brown sugar)
- vegetable oil (I used avocado oil; see tip below for making the brownies oil-free)
How to Make Oil-Free Vegan Chickpea Flour Brownies
Making these brownies oil-free is easy! In place of the oil, simply use an equal amount of runny tahini, or other seeds or nut butter (consider using my DIY almond butter, pepita butter, or sunflower seed butter).
How to Make Vegan Chickpea Flour Brownies
Note that the complete directions are also in the recipe card below.
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C).
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or foil; spray exposed sides with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl. stir together the milk, flaxseed meal, and vanilla; let stand for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Whisk in the sugar and oil until blended, then whisk in the cocoa powder, chickpea flour, baking powder and salt until blended and smooth.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes until center is just set (no longer appears gooey) and the edges are pulling away from the pan.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely in pan. Use parchment/foil overhang to remove brownies. Use a sharp knife, dipped in hot water, to cut into 16 squares.
Tips for Making Vegan Chickpea Flour Brownies
As you head off to make these (yes, you must make these asap), a few tips from me to you:
- Line & spray the baking pan. Definitely line the pan, AND give a quick spritz of cooking spray (or light greasing). The fudgy nature of these brownies makes them hard to remove without the aid o a parchment or foil liner. (Then again, who needs perfect squares? If you want to cut off randomly-shaped pieces one at a time, you most certainly can!)
- Store in the refrigerator. Again, the fudgy-ness factor. They will definitely keep at room temperature for a few days, but will keep their shape best if stored in the refrigerator.
- Use a sharp wet knife to cut. When cutting into squares, dip a sharp into a cup of hot water in between cuts and wipe off with a paper towel (to avoid brownie build-up on the knife).
Really, these are amazeballs. A certain child in our house begged to have a second one for dessert (Shh!!! He does not know they are made from chickpea flour!) and proclaimed they are the best brownies he has ever eaten. How’s that for an endorsement?
Let me know what you think of these brownies, ok? I would love to hear from you!
More Grain-Free & Vegan Chickpea Flour Baked Goods:
- Chickpea Flour Chocolate Cake
- Chickpea Flour Carrot Cake Bites
- Chocolate Chickpea Flour Muffins
- Chickpea Flour Gingerbread Bundt Cake
- Chickpea Flour Banana Bread
- Chickpea Flour Banana Cake