Chocolate lovers, you have a new favorite cookie recipe: Double Chocolate Chickpea Flour Cookies! They are vegan, grain-free, gluten-free, and a cinch to make.
It’s day 7 of the 7 days of Chickpea Flour Cookies!
Chickpeas in chocolate cookies? Oh yes! What better way to top off a week of chickpea cookie ideas than with a doube dose of everyone’s favorite sweet treat.
Chickpea flour works beautifully in a wide range of sweet baking, However, it works especially well with deep flavors, such as chocolate, molasses, dark brown sugar, and spices. In short, it is a perfect ingredient to add to your cold-weather baking repertoire.
And although these cookies are a bit of an indulgence, they still offer a host of health-promoting qualities–antioxidants from the chocolate and cocoa powder, fiber, protein and minerals from the chickpea flour–that more than justify eating two for dessert.
I can also testify that grabbing and gobbling a cookie to go makes great pre-run fuel on a cold winter morning (instant energy + cheer!). Be sure to bring one for your running partner, too 🙂
How to Make Double Chocolate Chickpea Flour Cookies
Another reason to try these cookies? They are incredibly easy to make. Whisk the wet ingredients, add the dry, scoop onto a cookie sheet, and bake. All with pantry ingredients, too.
These cookies have rich, cake-like middles and crispy-chewy edges. They remind of cookies that always arrived on a neighbor’s (much anticipated) Christmas cookie plate; I recall a few squabbles breaking out between me and my siblings (an, occasionally, my Dad) over who would get the last one!
Happy baking, everyone!
Chocolate lovers, you have a new favorite cookie recipe: my Double Chocolate Chickpea Flour Cookies! They are vegan, grain-free, gluten-free, and a cinch to make.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (135 g) chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup plant based margarine or virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- 1/4 (60 mL) cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together chickpea flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk in the water, margarine or oil, coconut sugar, vanilla and (optional) espresso powder until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a small cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop rounded mounds of dough onto cookie sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes until set at edges (centers may still look slightly soft). Let cool on sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack and cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
Storage: Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, the refrigerator for 2 weeks or the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 98
- Sugar: 7.2 g
- Sodium: 119.9 mg
- Fat: 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.8 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chickpea flour, chocolate, chocolate chips, egg-free, cookies, dairy-free, vegan, christmas cookies, plant-based