Cheesecake. For breakfast. The time has come.
These luscious cheesecake bars are about as close to perfect as January breakfasts come:
High protein? Check.
Delectable? Check, check and check!
The key components are classic breakfast foods–oats, eggs, yogurt, and cottage cheese–reconfigured.
Regardless of your feelings of any of these ingredients on their own, the sum total of these bars is so darn good that you must give them a try. I could go on and on, but I’ll keep it brief since it is the Friday before a 3-day weekend:
Make these bars. You won’t regret it!
Here’s to delicious, healthy mornings!
- 1–1/3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoon coconut sugar or packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp dairy or nondairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 16-oz container nonfat cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Optional: additional 2 tablespoons oats to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Base: Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang (for easy removal later). Lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, 2 teaspoons sugar, oil, milk and cinnamon until well-blended. Press evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven temp to 325°F
- Filling: While the crust bakes, process the cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until completely smooth, Add the yogurt, sugar and vanilla; process until smooth. Add the eggs; process until just blended.
- When base is finished baking, remove from oven and evenly pour and spread filling over base. If desired, sprinkle top with additional 2 tablespoons oats.
- Return pan to oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until center is just set when pan is jiggled and edges and top are pale golden. Cool completely on a wire rack and then chill for at least 2 hours until cold, Cut into 9 squares.
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack, Dessert
- Serving Size: 1/9 of recipe
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 10.9 g
- Sodium: 283 mg
- Fat: 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.1 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 10.1 g
- Cholesterol: 42 mg