Tender, brownie-like chocolate cookies made with coconut flour (no other flours or starches!). They are naturally grain-free, vegan, paleo, and gluten-free.
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup (28 g) coconut flour (do not pack it; lightly spoon to measure)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (see notes for keto option)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a cup, combine the water and flaxseed meal. Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk the coconut flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt, breaking up any and all lumps.
- Add the flax mixture, oil and vanilla to coconut flour mixture, stirring until blended. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes, allowing the coconut flour to absorb the liquid.
- Using a small cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop 12 mounds of dough onto the prepared cookie sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven 11 to 14 minutes until set at the centers and surface of cookies appears dry,
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then carefully transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack. Cool completely.
Keto Variation: Replace the coconut sugar with an equal amount of keto-friendly brown sugar replacement (e.g., Sukrin Gold, Swerve). Keto Version Macros per Cookie: Calories: 38; Carbs: 2.6 g; Sugars: 0.2 g; Net Carbs: 1.3 g
Storage: Store the cookies in an airtight container at (cool) room temperature for 1 day, the refrigerator for 1 week or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies: Add 2 to 3 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips to the batter.
Chocolate Mint Cookies: Replace the vanilla with an equal amount of pure peppermint extract. Melt 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips together with 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil in mix=crowave and drizzle over cooled cookies.
Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Cookies: Replace 1 tablespoon of the oil with smooth/creamy peanut butter and add an extra 2 teaspoons water to the batter. Add 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips to the batter. Drizzle 1 tablespoon smooth/creamy peanut butter (melted in the microwave for 15-20 seconds) over tops of cooled cookies.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 53
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 49.6 mg
- Fat: 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.5 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 0.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan coconut flour cookies, nut-free egg-free coconut flour cookies, chocolate coconut flour cookies, vegan chocolate coconut flour cookies, egg-free, dairy-free