- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (see Gluten Free Option Below)
- 3/4 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1–1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, warmed until liquid
- 1/4 cup dark (cooking) molasses
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Turbinado sugar (for rolling)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon. Stir in oil, molasses, milk and vanilla until just blended. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Fill a small dish with Turbinado sugar. Roll dough into thirty-six 1&1/4-inch balls and roll in the sugar to coat. Place onto prepared baking sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with palm or the bottom of a glass.
- Bake in preheated oven for 11 to 14 minutes or until just barely set at the center. Let cool on a wire rack for 2 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool.
1. Gluten-Free Option: Simply replace the white whole wheat flour with an equal amount of an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend.
2. An equal amount of vegan margarine or vegan shortening may be used in place of the coconut oil.
3. The cookies freeze very well. Place in an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 1 month. Defrost at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Category: Cookies