- 1 and 1/2 cups (180 grams) chickpea flour (also called garbanzo bean flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (I used a low-sodium variety)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1–1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 large bananas)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted virgin coconut oil (or fat/oil of choice)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two opposing sides. Grease or spray the paper and exposed sides of the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, bananas, coconut sugar, oil and vanilla until well blended.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 43 to 47 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then hold onto the foil overhang to transfer it directly to the rack to cool completely. Peel off the paper and serve.
Tip: You can replace the melted virgin coconut oil with the neutral oil of your choice, or melted butter or ghee.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread: Add 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips along with the banana mixture.
Tropical Banana Bread: Add 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, chopped. Replace the cinnamon with 1 teaspoon ground ginger and replace the vanilla extract with 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest.
Banana Muffins: Divide the batter among 18 greased muffin cups (in 2 standard muffin tins). Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
Store the cooled bread, wrapped in foil or plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Alternatively, wrap it in plastic wrap, then foil, completely enclosing the loaf, and freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw at room temperature for 4 to 6 hours before serving.
- Category: bread, quick bread
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 69 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.3 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 31 mg