These 3-ingredient chickpea flour waffles are a wonder: golden, fluffy, and crispy-edged, they are naturally vegan, grain-free & gluten-free.
I love a good waffle, especially if it is golden, fluffy, crispy at the edges, and drizzled with maple syrup. Are you with me?
If your answer is “yes,” then you simply must give my 3-ingredient wonder waffles a try. They are everything you want form a waffle , but so much more, specifically:
*frugal (make that cheap!)
Batter Preparation: Whisk everything together until smooth (~2 minutes). Let stand for 15 minutes.
Cooking: Cook in preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions (~2-5 minutes).
That, dear readers, is it.
Eat them immediately (yes, please!) or refrigerate or freeze ahead for an instant breakfast (simply toast to reheat–no need to defrost if frozen, just head straight to the toaster). As much as I love them plated, the quarters are ideal for portable eats, too!
Since it is a challenge to eat syrup-coated waffles on the move, consider adding some sweetener, or finely chopped dried fruit, or mini chocolate chips to waffles you plan to take on the move. Check out my notes for suggestions of how much to add.
A splash of vanilla is great, too, and, if you want to up the nutrition, replace the water with an equal amount of the milk of your choice.
You can also head in a savory direction (lunch! dinner! snacks!) with the addition of chopped fresh herbs, savory spices, black pepper, sriracha or hot sauce.
And lest any of us forget, waffles are quick bread, which means this is also a recipe for the easiest, most amazing, grain-free bread recipe. Bring on the sandwiches!Print
- In a large bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, and salt. Add the water and oil, whisking until blended and smooth. Let batter stand at least 15 minutes or refrigerate for up to 24 hours (batter thickens the longer it stands). When ready to use, whisk in the baking powder until blended.
- Preheat a standard waffle maker to medium-high heat.
- Spray the plates of the waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray; ladle or pour in about 1/2 cup (125 mL) batter.
- Cook the waffle according to waffle maker directions (for most makers, until a light changes color). The waffles should be a deep golden color (adjust settings as needed).
- Remove waffle and repeat with remaining batter.
Keep the waffles warm: You can keep the waffles warm in a 200˚F oven as you prepare all of the waffles.
Storage: Store the completely cooled waffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 6 months. Rewarm the waffles by toasting (pop-up toaster or toaster oven).
Oil-Free Option: Replace the oil with an equal amount of water, unsweetened applesauce or unsweetened pumpkin puree.
- Category: Breakfast, Bread
- Serving Size: 1 whole waffle
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 272 mg
- Fat: 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.7 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: waffles, chickpea flour, grain-free, gluten-free, 3 ingredients, vegan, egg-free, dairy-free, healthy, wheat-free, nut-free