Fast, fresh and healthy almond flour oat focaccia made with 3 ingredients! It is naturally vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and yeast-free.
Healthy 3-Ingredient Focaccia
Soup season is finally here! Even though I spend much of my day crafting and testing recipes, I love the simplicity of slow-simmering soups that need minimal prep and attention. It makes meals so simple and satisfying (three cheers for cozy!), and leftovers for lunch the next day are the best.
But this post is not about soup. It’s about what I must have with my soup: homemade bread!
Bread for dunking, mopping up the bowl, or gnoshing alongside (and, or before I sit down to dinner). The best option is a soup-worthy bread that also happens to be (very) easy-to-make (minimal ingredients, steps, and time), delicious, and healthy. That’s not too much to ask, right?
Not at all! For example, my 3-Ingredient Almond Flour & Oat Focaccia.
This super-bread is:
- Made in 1 bowl (no machines)
How to Make the Focaccia
To make the dough, combine 1 cup oats with 1 cup water. Let the mixture stand for 10 to 15 minutes (while the oven preheats), thengive it a vigorous stir for about 30 to 60 seconds to break down the oats.
Stir in 2 cups almond flour (or almond meal), 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (optional, or adjust to taste). The result is a thick, moist dough.
Plunk the dough into the center of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using your fingertips, press the dough into an even rectangle that measures about 10 inches (25 cm) by 8 inches (20 cm).
Dimple the dough with your fingertips, being careful not to make the dough too thin in any areas.
Slide the dough into a preheated 375F oven and bake for 22 to 25 minutes until very light golden brown at the edges and the surface appears dry.
Using the parchment paper, lift the bread off of the baking sheet, and then slide off of the parchment paper onto a cooling rack (the bottom can become slightly moist if cooled on the paper).
Hello, soup-worthy bread.
The bread has a nutty flavor that goes with everything. You will enjoy it with jam and other sweet toppings as much as soups and other savory options. I like it best warm, but I can attest that it is great cold (grabbed from the refrigerator), too.
Add any kind of toppings you like, such as chopped herbs (rosemary is always a winner), coarse salt, a mix of seeds, or a drizzle of olive oil.
The focaccia is great as a pizza crust, too! Just be sure to bake it for 10 to 12 minutes before adding the toppings.
Fast, fresh and healthy flatbread made with 3 ingredients (plus water and optional salt)! It is naturally vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and yeast-free.
- 1 cup (90 g) rolled oats (certified gluten-free, as needed)
- 1 cup (250mL) water
- 2 cups (224 g) almond flour or almond meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (optional, or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats and water. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes to soften. Vigorously stir for 30 to 60 seconds to break down the oats; add the almond flour, baking powder, and (optional) salt, stirring to combine.
- Transfer dough to center of prepared baking sheet. Using fingertips, press into an even 10 x 8-inch (25 x 20 cm) rectangle. Dimple the surface of dough (slightly) with fingertips.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes until light golden brown at edges, the center is set, and the surface appears dry.
- Using the parchment paper, lift the bread off of the baking sheet, and then slide off of the parchment paper onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or cool completely.
Storage: Store the completely cooled bread in an airtight container at (cool) room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 5 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.
Variations: Top with fresh chopped or dried herbs, seeds, or a drizzle of olive oil.
Pizza Crust: Use the focaccia as a pizza crust! Bake for 10 to 12 minutes before adding desired toppings
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1/12 of loaf
- Calories: 132
- Sugar: 0.8 g
- Sodium: 129.7 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.7 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: 3 ingredients, bread, almond flour, almond meal, oats, oil-free, yeast-free, easy, fast, healthy, focaccia