Grain-free & vegan almond flour soda bread! Made with only 5 ingredients (besides water and salt), it is also oil-free, yeast-free, sugar-free and paleo.
Vegan almond bread can tricky. And sticky. At least in the middle. Without the elevating power of eggs, the centers of vegan almond flour loaves tend to rise and fall in a predictable and gooey way.
One way around this is to go small: make bread in mini loaf pans or a muffin tin. A second method? Make a free-form loaf, such as this quick and easy Almond Flour Soda Bread. It is equally perfect for slicing or tearing into pieces.
My version is also:
It’s also easy-to-make. First, whisk the dry ingredients–almond flour or meal, arrowroot starch, baking soda, and salt–in a large bowl.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the wet ingredients: water, flaxseed meal, and vinegar. Let the mixture stand for several minutes, which allows the flax to gel and thicken the mixture.
Add to the flour mixture, stirring until completely bended. It will seem as though there is not enough liquid as you first begin stirring, but keep going (and do not add more water). Soon you will have a blended and stiff, yet soft, dough.
Using a sharp knife, carefully cut two very deep slashes (almost all the way through) into the dough (making a cross).
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Place a piece of foil over the top (to prevent excess browning) and bake 5 minutes longer. Turn oven off, leaving bread in oven for 15 minutes longer. This allows the center to cook all the way through.
Cool the bread on a wire cooling rack and you’ve got bread! The texture is tender, firm, and akin to a whole wheat soda bread in taste, texture and appearance.
Like other basic soda bread recipes, this one can be varied with all kinds of flavors and other add-ins. Traditional options include caraway seeds, currants or raisins, orange zest, or the sweetener of your choice, but you can customize the bread to your liking (chocolate chunks, anyone?) .
As mentioned earlier, the loaf can be torn off into chunks (ideal for snacking or dunking into soup), but it also slices beautifully (including super-thin slices).
Grain-free & vegan almond flour soda bread! With only 5 ingredients (besides water and salt), it is quick and easy to make, and also oil-free, yeast-free, sugar-free and paleo.
- 2 cups (224 g) almond flour or almond meal
- 3/4 cup (108 g) arrowroot starch
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) water
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F(175C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the almond flour, arrowroot starch, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix the water, flaxseed meal, and vinegar. Let stand several minutes to thicken.
- Add the water mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until completely bended. The dough will be quite stiff as your stir; just keep stirring until completley blended. The resulting dough will be stiff yet soft.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place on the prepared sheet. Flatten the dough into a circle measuring about 5 inches (12.5 cm) across. Using a sharp, serrated knife, carefully cut two very deep slashes (almost all the way through) through the dough (making a cross).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Place a piece of foil over the top (to prevent excess browning) and bake 5 minutes longer. Turn oven off, leaving bread in oven for 15 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in an airtight container at (cool) room temperature for 3 days, the refrigerator for 2 weeks, or the freezer for up to 6 months (I recommend slicing the bread before freezing).
Tip: An equal amount of potato starch can be used in place of arrowroot starch.
Tip: An equal amount of ground chia seeds can be used in place of the flaxseed meal.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1/16 of loaf
- Calories: 107
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 154 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.7 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: grain-free, vegan, bread, almond flour, Paleo, sugar-free, oil-free, yeast-free, easy, arrowroot