I love sharing recipes that require minimal explanation.
Also, minimal ingredients.
Minimal steps, too.
And minimal effort.
Case in point, my latest creation, Chickpea Flour Sandwich Bread!
Sandwich Bread that is Healthy, Vegan, and Grain-Free
This wonderful loaf is:
*Made with 5 humble ingredients (plus optional salt)
*Ridiculously easy to make
*Ready, from start to finish, in under an hour
*Perfect for slicing (think sandwiches, toast, all around nibbling/snacking)
Here’s what you need from the pantry: chickpea flour, baking soda, granulated cane sugar, a 12-ounce can of seltzer water or club soda, and a small amount of oil. Salt is optional, so follow my lead with the recommended amount, or adjust to suit your particular tastes and needs,
The Ingredients for Chickpea Flour Sandwich Bread
I used olive oil for the recipe, but you can use any oil that you prefer.
The same holds true with the sweetener. I stuck with natural cane sugar (I use 1-1/2 tablespoons in the recipe), but you can use any sweetener. If you use a liquid sweetener (e.g., maple syrup), simply add it along with the other wet ingredients. If you are wondering why the bread has sweetener, it is to (1) promote browning; (2) balance the savory flavor of the chickpea flour, and (3) enhance the rise of the bread.
Seltzer (or club soda) and baking soda are primarily responsible for the bread’s great rise, as well as it’s light, tender, sandwich-bread texture. I strongly recommend using a fresh can of seltzer; if measuring from a bottle, make sure that it is a brand new bottle (so that there is maximum carbonation).
Make the Bread (it’s Easy!)
Forget any and all difficulties you may have ascribed to bread-making; the assembly here could not be easier. (1) Whisk the dry ingredients; (2) stir in the seltzer water and oil; and (3) pour the batter into a parchment-lined baking pan. It will require about 3 minutes of your time.
Slide the pan into the oven and bake, at 375F, for 40 to 45 minutes until the loaf is risen, browned and a tester inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
You’ve got bread!
I’ve calculated the nutrition for this bread using the guideline of 12 thick slices per loaf. However, this bread slices beautifully, without crumbling, so feel free to slice it as thin as you like!
Pair the bread with sweet or savory fillings and spreads, it is delicious with everything! It also toasts like a dream.
Prepare to commit this recipe to memory, as I am confident you will want to make it often. Happy baking (and eating!).Print
Delicious, versatile, 5-ingredient sandwich bread made in minutes with chickpea flour! It is naturally grain-free and vegan.
- 2 and 1/2 cups (300 g) chickpea flour
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons cane sugar (or sugar/sweetener of choice)
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 12-ounce (355 mL) can unflavored seltzer or club soda
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or oil of choice)
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Line a 9×5-inch (22.5 x 12.5 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper; grease or spray the exposed sides.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly pour the seltzer down the side of the bowl (to prevent a lot of foaming); add the olive oil and stir until combined. Immediately pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes until risen, golden brown and a skewer inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days, in the refrigerator for 1 week, or tightly wrapped in freezer for up to 6 months.
Sweetener Options: Use any granulated sugar you prefer (e.g., coconut sugar, sucanat). or an equal amount of liquid sweetener such as maple syrup (add with the other wet ingredients)
Tip: An uncooked piece of spaghetti can be used as a tester (instead of a skewer) for determining if the center is set!
- Category: Bread
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/12 of loaf)
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 3.7 g
- Sodium: 191.8 mg
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.6 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 4.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg