Almond flour graham crackers that are vegan, grain-free & paleo! A perfect energizing snack or treat, they are even better than the original.
I thought I might talk about graham crackers today. Perhaps you love them as much as I do?
When I was little, my mother rarely bought sweets. A die-hard Co-op shopper, she encouraged whole grain toast smeared with peanut butter, fresh or dried fruit, or a handful of her homemade granola as snacks. Chips and cookies were for special occasions only, and the latter were almost always homemade.
Graham crackers were the exception. The familiar blue box was almost always on-hand and we were allowed to have them for afternoon nibbling anytime. My dad almost always sandwiched them with peanut butter, but I loved their true flavor unaltered with a glass of milk alongside (at least until summer camping and s’more weather came around).
In this month of healthy, portable food posts, it seems high time for a sold dose of graham cracker comfort, but in a form that can be enjoyed by almost everyone.
Vegan Almond Flour Graham Crackers
I’m talking almond flour grahams!
- seriously delicious
If this is your first attempt at homemade crackers of any sort, prepare yourself: they are a breeze to mix and make. The absence of gluten actually has a major advantage: you can roll and re-roll the dough as much as you like and the dough will not become tough.
I like to take these out of the oven when they are light golden brown, just beginning to darken at the edges. They may look slightly soft, but they will crisp up as they cool.
More Grain-Free & Vegan Almond Flour Cookies to Try:Print
Almond flour graham crackers that are both vegan, paleo and grain-free! They are even better than the original.
- In a small cups, mix the flaxseed meal and water. Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk the almond flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the flax mixture and coconut oil , stirring until blended into a cohesive dough (you can also do this in a food processor).
- Cover the bowl and chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the chilled dough to a large sheet of parchment paper; top with a second sheet of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/8-inch thickness.(not too thin–mine were actually between 1/8 and 1/4 inch).
- Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut into 2.5-inch squares; transfer squares to prepared sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown (they will still look slightly soft–will harden as they cool). Cool on the pan 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- Category: Cookie
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 graham cracker
- Calories: 92
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 77.9 mg
- Fat: 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.2 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan, grain-free, graham crackers, almond flour graham crackers, paleo, vegan graham cracker