- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- If leaving skin on, scrub apple well. Otherwise, peel the apple.
- Core and cut apple into chunks; process in a food processor, stopping to scrape down sides, until pureed (mixture will look like raw apple sauce). Measure 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the puree.
- Place the almond flour in a medium bowl. Add the 1/2 cup (125 mL) apple puree, cinnamon and (optional) salt. Stir until completely blended.
- Using a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough in 12 mounds, spacing 2 inches apart, on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown and centers of cookies feel firm to the touch. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Storage: Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container at (cool) room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 5 days, or the freezer for up to 3 months.
Apple Tips: In order for this recipe to work well, it is important to (1) use a sweet or tart-sweet apple. For example, red-delicious, gala, Macintosh, or Braeburn; (2) Process the apple very finely, to the point where the juices are releasing. It should look like raw apple sauce (see photo); be sure to measure the amount of apple after pureeing. Do not use more than the 1/2 cup that is called for in the recipe (i.e., do not just go by general size of the apple).
Sweetness Bump: If you like, add a touch more sweetness to the dough. It does not take much to make these much sweeter. Consider adding 2 teaspoons of coconut sugar, brown sugar, or maple syrup, if desired.
Extracts: Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract or 1/8 teaspoon of almond extract to dough.
Sugar Sparkle: Sprinkle tops of dough with turbinado (raw) sugar.
Other spices: Replace the ground cinnamon with an equal amount of ground cardamom, pumpkin pie spice, ground ginger, or 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
Chocolate Chip: Add 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips to the dough. Alternatively, prepare dough as directed and press the chocolate chips into surfaces of scooped dough.
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 60
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 24.2 mg
- Fat: 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.7 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: cookies, 3 ingredients, apple, almond flour, vegan, paleo, oil-free, grain-free, almond flour cookies, 3-ingredients