Rich and delicious (yet healthy!) chocolate chickpea flour muffins, perfect for breakfast, snacks, or dessert. They are vegan, grain-free & gluten-free.
I’ll cut to the chase: chocolate.
Chocolate muffins, to be precise. Moist, rich, and delicious, they are just what your December mornings need.
Chocolate Chickpea Flour Muffin Benefits
These muffins taste decadent, but they also happen to be:
- Vegan (no eggs, no dairy)
- Refined sugar free
Making the batter requires about 3 minutes of time, followed by a brief bake. They are ready, start to finish, in under 30 minutes, which is especially ideal during the busy holiday season.
Chickpea Flour for Grain-Free Egg-Free Muffins
The key to making these perfect muffins both grain-free and vegan is chickpea flour. This inexpensive, wholesome flour is made from finely ground dried chickpeas and works as both an egg-replacement and flour replacement. It is pretty amazing. It is also packed with protein and fiber, vitamins and minerals.
It’s a wonder-flour!
How to Make the Muffins
Making the muffins is a breeze. First, mix the wet ingredients (coffee, oil, unsweetened applesauce, coconut sugar, vinegar and vanilla) in a large. Coffee enhances the flavor of the chocolate, but you can also use water.
Next, whisk the dry ingredients (chickpea flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt) and add to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined, adding chocolate chips, if you want extra chocolate (I do).
Scoop the batter into standard size muffin cups that have been lined with paper or foil liners. Do not overfill the cups! Then place in a preheated 400F oven for a brief bake.
Note: I advise making these when no one else is around. You’ll want the privacy to lick the bowl, spoon, and scoop after sliding these in the oven.
Use a Quick-Release Scoop for Portioning Batter
Speaking of scoops: if you like to bake muffins and cupcakes, and you do not yet own one of these quick-release scoops, I recommend remedying the situation post haste.
They make portioning batter a cinch (no more guessing and redistributing), which means every muffin or cupcake will be the same size. They are also great for making kitchen sink-size cookies and scooping ic cream, too.
Storing the Muffins
The cooled muffins will keep in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 2 days, or you can store them longer in the refrigerator (up to 1 week) or the freezer (for up to 6 months).
More Vegan * Grain-Free Chickpea Flour Recipes to Love:Print
Got 30 minutes? Then you plenty of time to make these rich and delicious (yet healthy!) chocolate chickpea flour muffins for breakfast, snacks, or dessert. They are vegan, grain-free, gluten-free, and delectable.
- 3/4 cup cold strong coffee (or water)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cups (150 g) chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (grain-free, as needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Optional: 3 to 5 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C). Line 12 cups of a standard size muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coffee, applesauce, coconut sugar, oil, vinegar and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just blended (do not overmix).
Stir in cholate chips, if using.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 13 to 17 minutes until risen and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in the tin for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Storage: The cooled muffins will keep in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 2 days, or you can store them longer in the refrigerator (up to 1 week) or the freezer (for up to 6 months).
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
Keywords: chickpea flour, chickpea flour muffins, chocolate, grain-free, vegan chocolate muffins, gluten-free, vegan, egg-free, dairy-free, easy