Utterly delectable, super-easy, 4-ingredient chickpea flour shortbread cookies that are grain-free, vegan, and can be varied in countless ways! The primary ingredients are chickpea flour and coconut oil.
Easy Grain-Free Vegan Shortbread
I love shortbread. LOVE. The simplicity, the delicate yet substantial texture, and the subtle sweetness.
I also have a mindset that the world cannot have too many shortbread recipes.
So welcome this new cookie to the shortbread universe: My Chickpea Flour Shortbread Cookies, made with ease and only 4 ingredients.
They are stellar.
Tea + one of these cookies = cozy happiness
The Multiple Benefits of Chickpea Flour Shortbread Cookies
These fantastic cookies are:
- Vegan (dairy-free & egg-free)
- Made with 4 humble ingredients (chickpea flour, sugar, virgin coconut oil, and vanilla)
- Super simple to make
How to Make Chickpea Flour Shortbread
Here’s the extent of the dough-making: (1) combine the chickpea flour & sugar in a large bowl (along with salt, if using); (2) stir in the melted coconut oil and vanilla until blended. Done. No mixers, no creaming, no worries about over-beating. The dough will be thick, smooth, and pliable.
Press and Quick-Chill the Dough
The next steps ensure even, precise pieces. Line a 9-inch (22.5 cm) square baking pan with wax paper, parchment paper, or plastic wrap. I use two pieces to line the pan in both directions, leaving long stretches of overhang on all sides. Press the dough into the pan, folding in the overhang to help distribute the dough and smooth the top.
Further, I place a smaller pan on top to smooth and tamp down the dough.
Once the dough is smooth, place the pan in the freezer for about 10 minutes. that’s all it takes for the coconut oil in the dough to harden. If you plan on making the dough several hours, or a day ahead, of baking, place the pan in the refrigerator rather than the freezer.
Cut the Dough Into Pieces
Use the pan liner to lift the dough from the pan onto a cutting board. You can cut the dough in just about any shape you like. I chose to cut the dough into 32 rectangles. Place half of the pieces on a parchment-lined baking sheet (place the remaining pieces in the refrigerator) and bake!
Chilling the dough keeps the pieces from spreading, and the low temperature (300F) allows for slow, even browning.
Begin checking the shortbread at the earliest time I suggest. The pieces will be light golden brown, but not too dark at the edges.
You are going to love this shortbread, friends!
Get ready to fall in love with the flavor of chickpea flour in these cookies. It is akin to toasted nuts; vanilla (and perhaps a pinch of salt) is all that is needed to further enhance the flavor.
Keep in mind, too, that you can use refined (no coconut flavor) or unrefined virgin coconut oil (natural coconut flavor) to affect the flavor–it is great either way.
Vary the Shortbread with Different Flavors
The options for variation are vast, so go to town adding spices, citrus zests, extracts, dried fruit, chocolate chips or chunks, nuts, and more to create your own unique twists. I’ll be posting my own favorite variation in a subsequent post!
More Chickpea Flour Cookies to Love:Print
Utterly delectable, super-easy, 4-ingredient chickpea flour shortbread that is grain-free, vegan, and can be varied in countless ways!
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with wax paper, parchment paper, or plastic wrap.
- In a large bowl, stir the melted coconut oil, sugar and vanilla until completely blended. Add the chickpea flour and (optional) salt, stirring until completely blended.
- Press dough evenly into prepared pan; use a second pan to firmly tamp down and smooth the dough. Place in freezer for 15 minutes until very firm.
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from pan using the liner. Place on a cutting board and cut into 32 rectangles (8×4) or desired shapes. Place half of the pieces on prepared baking sheet, spacing 2-inches apart (Place remaining dough into refrigerator).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 21 to 25 minutes until light golden brown and firm to the touch
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on the baking sheet.
Storage: Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days (in a cool room; if it is hot, store in the refrigerator), the refrigerator for 1 week or the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 4.6 mg
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.8 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chickpea flour, vegan, cookies, shortbread, 4 ingredients, grain-free, gluten-free, easy, grain-free shortbread, nut-free, egg-free