Healthy zucchini oat bread! It is vegan, oil-free, gluten-free, nut-free, and and packed with both zucchini and nutrition!
Zucchini Bread made with Oats & Coconut Flour
We are on the brink of zucchini season, but I could not wait to get a running start with a new take on zucchini bread.
I love zucchini bread. My mother grew zucchini every summer and made many whole wheat loaves to use up her annual bounty. Her healthy, wholesome baking spoiled me, to the point where I do not enjoy traditional zucchini bread, specifically the versions that are loaded with sugar, and white flour, yet very little zucchini.
The Healthy Highlights of this Zucchini Bread
This super-healthy zucchini bread is fast and easy to make, as well as:
- High in fiber
- Low in sugar (6.9 g per big slice)
- Only 107 calories (per big, filling slice)
Bread that is Packed with Zucchini
It is also LOADED with zucchini! Specifically 1 pound (454 g), which is about 2 medium zucchini.
How to Make Oat & Coconut Flour Zucchini Bread
(1) Blend the Zucchini
Rather than grating the zucchini, you’ll make what is essentially a zucchini smoothie. Trim the ends off of the zucchini, cut into large pieces, and then process, along with 1 cup of nondairy milk, until smooth.
This zucchini puree provides ample moisture to the bread as well as even distribution (to the extreme!) of the zucchini.
(2) Mix the Remaining Ingredients in a Bowl
Transfer the zucchini puree to a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients: coconut flour, coconut sugar (only 1/3 cup for the entire loaf), flaxseed meal, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
The flaxseed meal, along with the zucchini puree and flaxseed, eliminate the need for oil in the bread.
The addition of coconut flour requires explanation. I originally experimented with an all-oat loaf. My attempts were both flat and gummy, but still tasty, so I knew I was on track. Coconut flour, along with some proportion retooling, changed everything, resulting in a decidedly BREAD-y loaf. Hurrah!
Give everything a good stir and the batter is done!
I know what some of you are thinking: why not add all of the ingredients to the blender and save dirtying a bowl? I had the same thought, and I tried it. While not terrible, keeping the oats whole results in a far superior, toothsome texture.
Also, the bottom of the completely pureed loaf was markedly denser than the top portion. No thanks. Cleaning the blender was no fun, either (by comparison, the zucchini milk “smoothie” rinses out with ease).
(3) Spread & Bake the Batter
Spread the batter evenly in a 9×5 inch (22.5 x 12.5cm) loaf pan that has been sprayed or greased, smoothing the top.
Then it’s off to bake in a preheated 375F (190C) preheated oven.
In 45 to 50 minutes, this is the golden-brown result:
(4) Cool & Slice
Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, run a knife around the edges of the pan to release the loaf.
This bread is hearty, wholesome and delicious! You can stir in your favorite kinds of bits and pieces (e.g., dried fruit, chopped nuts or seeds, shredded coconut, dark chocolate chips) or slather slices with nut butter and jam for instant breakfasts and snacks on the run.
Eating lots of vegetables is a breeze with recipes such as this. Happy baking, everyone!
More Delectable Vegan & Gluten-Free Zucchini Recipes:Print
Healthy zucchini bread made with whole oats and coconut flour. It is oil-free, gluten-free, nut-free, vegan, and packed with both zucchini and nutrition!
- 1 pound (454 g) zucchini, ends trimmed
- 1 cup (250 mL) nondairy milk
- 2 cups (180 g) rolled oats (certified GF, as needed)
- 1/2 cup (56 g) coconut flour
- 1/3 cup (64 g) coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons (13 g) flaxseed meal (or ground chia seeds)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375F(190C). Spray or grease a 9×5-inch (22.5 x 12.5 cm) loaf pan.
- Cut the zucchini into large chunks. In a blender or food processor, process the zucchini with the milk until smooth; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the oats, coconut flour, sugar, flaxseed meal, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon and salt to zucchini puree in bowl. Stir until completely blended. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes until browned and a toothpick inserted near center comes out with only moist crumbs attached.
- Place pan on a wire cooling rack and cool completely in pan. Run a knife around edge of pan and remove bread. Slice as desired.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Zucchini Tips: For the most successful results, use weight (1 pound/454 g) to measure the zucchini.
- Category: Bread
- Serving Size: 1/12 of loaf
- Calories: 107
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 243 mg
- Fat: 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.2 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg